Some ethnologists believe that Mărțișor has a Roman origin, while others believe it has a Daco-Thracian origin. It is a custom believed to have emerged during the Roman Empire, when the New Year was celebrated on the first day of spring, in the month of Mars, and thus literally meaning “little March”. Mars was not only the god of war, but also fertility and vegetation. This duality is noted in the colors of the Mărţişor, the white meaning peace and the red war, but also love for all that is beautiful, red and health and the purity of the snowdrop, the first flower of spring, the white, the colors of the braided string that make up the Mărţişor in its classic form.
Originally, the Mărţişor was a coin made of gold or silver, to which was attached a string made of two twisted yarns (one red and one white). Moreover, there is the belief that this amulet brings luck and happiness. The girls wore it for twelve days pinned at the chest or around their neck, and then caught it in their hair and kept it until the first tree was blossoming (usually by the end of March). After that, the string was tied to the branches of a fruit-tree twig, and with the coin, they bought sweet cheese, so their face will be beautiful and white for the whole year. In some areas, the purpose of wearing Mărţişor is to bring the sun closer. You become a friend of the sun, which in return will share its power, beauty, joy and health, honour and love. Giving a Mărţişor is like giving a piece of sunshine.
Another habit in the countryside is for the peasants to give the children Mărţişor to be clean as silver and not be shattered by cold or flu, and the girls wear it so the sun doesn't burn their faces. Moreover, those who do not wear it, they will wither and look older faster. The people of the countryside also know that the Mărţişor must be treated as a holy thing, not as an ornament or a toy.
Tradition says the Mărţişor must be tied on the sunrise on the first day of March. It is worn from March 1 until the spring shows up, the cuckoo singing is heard, until the cherries or roses blossom, till the storks or swallows come. Afterwards, the Mărţişor is not thrown away, but it is tied to a rose or a blooming tree to bring us good luck.
- All jewelry will come packed in a branded jewellery gift box. Please retain the jewelry in these as they will help prevent tarnishing.
- Please avoid spraying perfume directly on the jewelry or getting it wet.
- It is also a good idea to wipe them a little after use and before putting them back, if possible.
- Alternatively, you can keep your sterling silver jewellery in a Ziploc bag.
- It will all help to prevent the tarnishing.
By purchasing this item you acknowledge that you have read and agree to our shop policies. If you have any questions, please contact me.
Shipping from Ireland
- I ship my products from Ireland, by AnPost (Irish Postal Service), anywhere in the world. If you are in Ireland, you can find your Eircode HERE
- Please be aware that only the Registered Post or Express Post offers the option of tracking your package and replacing the order in case it is lost in transit.
- Standard Post is the cheapest option, but there is no tracking available, nor insurance for replacing the order in case the package is lost in transit.
- We can also arrange for courier services. Please let me know if you preferer your jewellery to be delivered by courier and I can quote you before ordering. UPDATE 5th of October - I am working with DHL at the moment to offer you 1-3 days of delivery everywhere in the world. The option will be soon available directly during checkout.
|Free Shipping - over €75||€75.00 and up||Free||
|Registered Post (1-2 working days, with tracking)||€0.00–€75.00||€8.50||
|Registered Post (1-2 working days, with tracking)||€75.00 and up||€5.00||
|Standard Shipping (no tracking available)||€0.00–€75.00||€4.00||
|OUTSIDE IRELAND (INTERNATIONAL)||Order total||Cost|
|Courier (1-2 business days)||—||€38.50||
|Premium Express Post (2-3 working day, with tracking)||—||€14.50||
|Registered Post (3-5 working days, with tracking)||€0.00–€75.00||€13.50||
|Registered Post (3-5 working days, with tracking)||€75.00 and up||€7.50|
- I strive to dispatch the products in stock in 1-2 business days. Occasional delays might occur due to unexpected events and around busy periods of the year.
- All the customised items will have a longer production time (2-4 weeks). These are alterations or new products that we agreed upon before you placed your order.
- All customised laser-cut name necklaces have 2-6 weeks of production time.
Customs and import taxes
- Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs or postal transit times.
- Ireland has international agreements regarding customs with certain countries, and you shouldn't be charged any taxes as long as the value of your order is below a certain threshold. We are aware of the following thresholds:
- United States (US): €800 (sales of goods) or €300 (gifts)
- UK: £25
- Canada: CAD35
- Australia: AUD1000
- no customs in any of the EU countries, as Ireland is part of the EU
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
- Just contact me within 7 days of delivery. Ship items back to me within 14 days of delivery.
- No products should be sent back without prior consent.
- If you sent back any item without my prior consent, no refunds will be issued.
I don't accept cancellations
- But please contact me if you have any problems with your order. I will do my best to find a solution.
The following items can't be returned or exchanged
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
- Custom or personalised orders (e.g. Name necklaces, engraved jewellery pieces)
- Intimate items (for health/hygiene reasons). For hygiene reasons, we do not offer refunds or exchanges on earrings (except the clip-on earrings) unless faulty.
- Items on sale
- Gift cards
Gift wrapping and packaging
- All my jewellery will be shipped in a branded gift box.
- The gift box is protected in transit by water-soluble puffs (environmentally friendly and compostable) and the shipping box (ethical and environmentally friendly & recyclable).
- If you require gift wrapping, there is an option at checklout to add it to your order (for only €5). You can add a note at checkout (free of charge).
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.